Risk of death and severe harm from ingestion of super absorbent polymer gel granules

A warning alert has been issued around the risk of death and severe harm from ingestion of super absorbent polymer gel granules.

Super absorbent polymer gel granules are widely used in health and social care, typically as small sachets placed in urine and vomit bowls. On contact with liquid, the sachet opens and the granules almost instantaneously absorb, expand and solidify the liquid. This can protect patients’ bedding and clothing and reduce the risk of slips.

If the gel granules are put in the mouth they expand on contact with saliva risking airway obstruction. This has happened where patients have mistaken the sachets for sweets, or sugar or salt packets, but some incident reports also describe attempts of deliberate self-harm.

Healthcare providers are asked to review their overall approach to using these products.

Full details on the alert

 

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Reminder

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness and the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) would like to remind everyone of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The ‘silent killer’ as carbon monoxide (CO) is often known is odourless, colourless, tasteless and in high concentrations can be fatal in a matter of minutes.

Details>>

 

Faulty defibrillator warning

People and organisations should check if they have the defibrillator models,

LIFEPAK CR Plus and LIFEPAK EXPRESS Automatic External Defibrillators (AED), because an electrical fault with some of them may not deliver an electric shock to the heart to someone who is in cardiac arrest.
Approximately 2,577 devices are defective.

More>>

Safety Warning

Benmor Medical (UK) Limited Field Safety Notice (FSN) 20-5-2016 Affected devices.

Aurum beds manufactured between June 2013 to May 2015 Product code BMPB065A and BMPB065AS
When the bed reaches its lowest point there is a potential for foot entrapment. We consider this a minimal risk due to the slow moving action of the bed and soft material of the cot side.

Benmor Medical – NCR0039

 

Safety Warning

INVACARE has been informed of an  incident with a  FOX wheelchair where during use a rear   wheel become loose and detached from the frame. During inspection of this wheelchair it was found that the length of the motor shaft was too short. As result the lock nut with a nylon security ring fixing the rear plastic wheel had failed in its function.
After further investigation it was identified that a batch of motors is affected by this too short motor shaft / nut with a nylon security ring combination.

Benmor Medical – NCR0039

 

 

BBQ Safety – Important tips from the gas Safety register to help keep safe this summer.

In recent years there have been a number of fatalities and injuries as a result of people bringing BBQ’s into enclosed spaces such as tents/camping and being overcome by carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance which is created when fossil fuels such as gas and solid fuels like charcoal and wood fail to combust fully due to a lack of oxygen.
It can’t be seen, tasted or smelled  but it can kill quickly with no warning.
If anyone is planning on using a BBQ, whether it’s a disposable one, gas or charcoal make sure they keep safe and don’t put people at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Follow these top tips for BBQ safety:  http://tinyurl.com/pt3p56b

Carbon Monoxide poisoning http://tinyurl.com/yaqwu2y