A healthcare company has been fined after a vulnerable patient suffered fatal injuries during a minibus journey.
Nottingham Crown Court heard how, on 16 March 2014, a vulnerable patient was fatally injured when returning from an out of hours GP appointment at Nottingham Emergency Medical Centre in a minibus. Samantha Barton died after opening a door and leaping from a minibus which was traveling at speed on the A52, just outside of Nottingham…….
…..been fined £500,000 and ordered to pay costs of £67,500.
£240m Social Care bonus to avert NHS winter crisis
An emergency £240m will be pumped into Social Care in England to ease pressure on the NHS this winter by enabling more elderly people to be cared for at home.
The cash will help councils pay for measures like housing adaptations and care packages, Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said.
“Getting people back home will “free up hospital beds”, Read
Scottish Health boards receive additional £10m.
This will be allocated to NHS boards to help cope with added pressures over the winter months.
Provided earlier then before, the funding, which comes on top of the £9 million already allocated to support unscheduled care all year round, will allow health boards to put robust plans in place quickly. Details
Electronic signatures are valid say Government’s legal experts. – Law Commission
Electronic signatures can be used to sign formal legal contracts under English law, the Law Commission has confirmed.
The Government’s independent legal experts have published early conclusions which aim to sweep away the current uncertainty in the law, allowing businesses to speed up transactions by going fully digital.
A care home was sentenced after an employee suffered significant injuries after falling around 1.5 metres down a lift shaft.
An investigation by the HSE found that the door locking mechanism had been broken for about a month prior to this incident and management failed to deal with the known issue of employees overriding the door safety locking mechanism with a screwdriver. The lift had also not been thoroughly examined.
Sutton in the Elms Care Limited of Sutton Lane, Leicester pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Regulation 9(3)(a)(i) of the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations and has been fined £14,000.00 and ordered to pay costs of £2535.90
A care provider has been fined following the death of a resident at an Essex nursing home after he contracted Legionnaires’ disease.
The resident 86, died three months after moving into Hutton Village Nursing Home, which is operated by BUPA Care Homes (BNH) Ltd.
The investigation found that for more than a year, during which time major refurbishment works were carried out, BUPA Care Homes (BNH) Ltd failed to implement the necessary control and monitoring measures required to safely manage their hot and cold water system. It also found those responsible for overseeing legionella controls and for taking crucial water temperature measurements had not been trained to the required standard.
Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust has been fined £300,000 after failing to control the risk to patients from exposure to legionella bacteria in its water systems.
This follows an investigation of a death in the hospital Bristol Crown Court heard how, in July 2015, Mr Terence Brooks, a 68-year-old patient at Bath’s Royal United Hospital, died from legionnaires’ disease. The HSE found that the Trust had failed to put in place all of the necessary precautions to minimise the risk to patients in the annex to the William Budd ward from exposure to legionella.
Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust fined £300,000 and ordered to pay costs of £37,451.78.